Ticket to Work network in Sydney
What is Ticket to Work?
Ticket to Work prepares high school students with disability for the world of work and provides them with an open employment pathway in their transition from school through a combination of vocational/career development and early contact with work environments.
What does the research say?
Evidence shows that young people with disability are able to thrive in open employment when prepared and supported while at school through a coordinated approach. A new evaluation report shows that Ticket to Work, an initiative of National Disability Services, is providing effective school-to-work transition supports for young people with disability. To read the evaluation report, and other research on this topic visit: http://www.tickettowork.org.au/research/
Ticket to Work Mission – National
At Ticket to Work we believe that every young person has the right to an employment pathway. Our mission is to ensure that young Australians with disability have the opportunities to exercise that right.
Ticket to Work Approach – National
Ticket to Work approach is to:
- Develop collaboration by bringing together disability-specific and mainstream. representatives from a variety of sectors to work strategically and collaboratively
- Support skills development and activities for students with disability.
- Build the capacity of schools, parents, and employers using evidence based practice.
Sydney Network Mission
The mission for the Sydney network is to facilitate work experience opportunities to secondary school students with disability where there are currently limited options.
Sydney Network Approach
The Sydney network approach is to:
- Work with a clear understanding of the current landscape for work experience within Sydney region (Inner Sydney, Inner West, Eastern Suburbs, St George and Sutherland) secondary students and meet any current needs.
- Ensure that each Ticket to Work work experience is individually tailored and also reflective of the current expectations within industry .
- Develop a process that meets all necessary guidelines and procedures to ensure the safety of students and support people.
- Ultimately raise the expectations of people with disability and challenge discrimination in the employment and the general community.
It is so important that the disability sector works together to improve the transitions for people with disability. Further information can be found at the following website: http://www.tickettowork.org.au/
What does being in the network involve?
How local Ticket to Work networks function varies according to the different regions. The networks operate with a ‘collective impact’ approach, sharing goodwill, expertise and resources to solve complex cross-sectoral problems. If you are interested in being involved in the Ticket to Work Sydney network please email Jessica Buhne at email@example.com or call 9036 3607.
The Sydney region Ticket to Work network comprises of the Inner Sydney, Inner West, Eastern Suburbs and St George-Sutherland areas. Ticket to Work is an initiative of National Disability Services (NDS).