Who are we?
The Sydney Network for Students with Disability is a network of students with disability or medical condition enrolled in tertiary study in Sydney. The network is facilitated by the Sydney Region National Disability Coordination Officer Program.
Who are students with disability?
The legal definition of disability under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) in Australia is broad and includes chronic medical conditions, mental illness and learning disabilities. One in five Australians has a disability under this definition and 80% of disabilities are invisible.
The aims of the network:
- Peer support and mentoring
- Improving transition into and out of university
- Advocacy for students
- Data collection / recording student experiences
- Disability awareness and knowledge for students, staff and the community
Current challenges faced by students:
- Isolation of students / lack of community or network
- Poor awareness of disability within the university
- Non-engagement with disability services and lack of supports available
- Issues around disclosing disability
- Problematic transition from high school
- Poor staff and peer awareness of disability and lack of sensitivity
- Insufficient representation of students with disability in leadership positions
- Poor provisions and poor understanding about provisions
- Difficulty for students with disability balancing uni/work/life
Joining the network
The network is open to tertiary students who identify as a person with disability. If you are interested in joining the network or would like more information please email email@example.com
The network is in the process of establishing an organising committee comprised of students that represent the various universities across the Sydney region. The role of committee members is to ensure that the network meets the needs of members. We are currently taking expressions of interest from students who would like to be involved in the organising committee. To register your interest in joining the organising committee please contact firstname.lastname@example.org